Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Once qualified, all qualified coaches, leaders and instructors should aspire to continually developing their skills and knowledge to improve their effectiveness.
At present all qualified snowsports coaches leaders and instructors are required to demonstrate that they have personally developed their skills by attending a valid continuing professional development (CPD) training course every 3 years in order to remain licensed and insured.
Paper evidence of course attendance and learning should be uploaded to your personal profile for approval by Snowsport Scotland. Approval will revalidate your license provided you also have your other credentials up to date (like first aid).
If an individual fails to attend a CPD course their CPD “credential” will expire and their qualification will become invalid.
CPD achieves two outcomes:-
- ADDITIONALITY: It broadens and extends the knowledge of the coach leader and instructor
- QUALITY: It assures quality of delivery by updating the individual with the latest information and best practice methodologies used in their role.
Snowsport Scotland runs regular CPD training courses both online and onslope.
Whilst the current requirement is that 1 CPD training course is attended every three years Snowsport Scotland will be moving to a requirement of 1 online CPD session every year PLUS 1 onslope CPD session every 3 years.
Courses that qualify as CPD
All Snowsport Scotland and UK Snowsport qualification training courses qualify as valid CPD courses (with the exception of First Aid).
In addition, a wide range of external courses are accepted as valid CPD provided they meet the test of being:-
- LEGITIMATE: (Delivered by accredited trainers/tutors, and bearing credible content and certification)
- RELEVANT: (Delivering skills relevant to the role that the individual undertakes on Snowsports)
- CURRENT: (Containing the very latest updates and best practice)
If you are thinking of attending an external course for your personal development and would like confirmation that it will qualify as CPD, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before you book onto the course.
Remember, once you have attended any CPD training course you will need to upload a copy of your course attendance or pass certificate to your profile on the Snowsport Scotland Sportlomo database. If you have not been provided with a certificate you can use this form.
To do this:-
- Login to your profile
- Click on the qualifications button
- Click on one of your qualifications
- On the row for your CPD credential click the far right “Up Arrow” icon/ button
- This will take you into a screen that allows you to upload an attachment and add a date and details
Please note that there is an admin fee of £20 for SSS to review, approve and update your CPD credential for any external CPD courses. This fee is waived for courses delivered by Snowsport England, Snowsport Wales or BASI.