Following the First Ministers update announcement, this is a reminder that Snowsport Scotland, along with GB Snowsport and the Home Nations, have published guidance and information addressing COVID-19 travel restrictions.
Snowsport Scotland are in full support of the Scottish governments ongoing message to stay at home as much as possible and avoid unnecessary travel, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so, such as, for essential work purposes, professional sportspeople (which includes over 16s on an elite development pathway) for medical treatment, or urgent compassionate reasons.
As part of the travel guidance, the Scottish government does provide exceptions for elite athletes during this time. For the purposes of this guidance the definition of a ‘performance athlete’ is defined as:
1) Athletes who derive a living from competing in a sport as:
- Professional athletes, and / or
b. Athletes in professional teams, or
c. Athletes on performance development pathways for professional sports established by the national governing body.
2) For GB Olympic and Paralympic sport, athletes who are:
- GB senior (i.e. those not classified by age group) representatives for NGB’s on a Summer or Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo/Beijing) pathway, or
b. On GB senior training squads (i.e. those not classified by age group) for NGB’s on a Summer or Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo/Beijing) pathway, or
c. On performance development pathways for NGB’s on a Summer or Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games pathway.
3) Athletes from territories in the British Isles who are senior representatives or on senior training squads (i.e. those not classified by age group) for sports in the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games programme.
As athletes’ part of Snowsport Scotland National teams and training squads, there is an expectation for those members to adhere to the Snowsport Scotland Code of Conduct, which includes following guidance and recommendations set out by the NGB (in this case being passed on from the Scottish government.)
As a community, we have a responsibility to follow the guidance set out and adhere to restrictions when they are put in place.
Please see the latest statement issued by GBS here
For details of the Scottish Government documentation please click here